Celebrating Holy Name Globally
Lord Caitanya Wants You!
To Build His Temple With The Holy Name!
We are proud to announce that we are dedicating World Holy Name Week 2013 to the construction of the Temple of the Vedic Planetarium.
As we approach the magical year of 2016, which will be the 50th Anniversary of ISKCON, we are especially excited about the prospect of the grand opening of Srila Prabhupada’s cherished desire, The Temple of the Vedic Planetarium.
Srila Prabhupada’s dear disciple H.G. Ambarish Prabhu has already donated more than twenty three million dollars to help build this temple, yet the temple is only partially completed and so much more work needs to be done.
How can we, the family of devotees, accomplish this Herculean task?
Both the scriptures and the great souls describe that to accomplish anything in this world of substance, one requires the mercy of the Holy Name.
Srila Prabhupada writes in the Nectar of Devotion, “The chanting process offered by Lord Caitanya for achieving love of God is called saìkértana. Saìkértana is a Sanskrit word. Sam means samyak—"complete."
Therefore, nothing is complete without the chanting of the Holy Names.
The chanting of the Holy Names is the most auspicous practice in the universe. Therefore to achieve auspiciousness, especially in Kali Yuga, one must engage in Sankirtan. Intellegent people will adopt this process.
In the age of Kali, intelligent persons perform congregational chanting to worship the incarnation of Godhead who constantly sings the names of Krsna. Although His complexion is not blackish, He is Krsna Himself. He is accompanied by His associates, servants, weapons and confidential companions. (Srimad Bhagavatam 11.5.32)
It is through the chanting of the Holy Names that we will create the auspicousness in order to complete this temple.
Therefore, World Holy Name Week 2013, and all the chanting of
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
is dedicated to the Temple Of The Vedic Planetarium.
Build His Temple With The Holy Names!
All glories to Sri Krishna Sankirtan!
This year 2013 marks 47 years since Srila Prabhupada founded ISKCON and literally inaugurated the worldwide sankirtan movement by chanting in Tompkins Square Park. From those humble beginnings the movement spread and somehow or other we are here getting the opportunity to go "Back to Godhead".
Just remembering what Srila Prabhupada did on our behalf awakens a deeper and deeper feeling of gratitude and indebtedness and furthermore a desire to do whatever we can to repay Srila Prabhupada.
In August 1976 Srila Prabhupada wrote:
"If you feel at all indebted to me then you should preach vigorously like me. That is the proper way to repay me. Of course, no one can repay the debt to the spiritual master, but the spiritual master is very much pleased by such an attitude by the disciple.
As one of Srila Prabhupada's last instruction to us was to work cooperatively together, what better way to do this and try to pay our debt, than by us all coming together to participate in the yuga dharma - congregational chanting of the holy names - absorbing ourselves in the World Holy Name week and bringing auspiciousness to the whole world. "Our, this sankirtana movement is so nice that simply by chanting, the vibration will create an auspicious atmosphere,"
"Somehow or other if you can engage them in chanting and dancing, the whole world will be united." [Srimad-Bhägavatam lecture, Bombay, December 27, 1974]
In the Caitanya Caritamrita Adi Lila 4.39-40 the mission of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu is explained
"Thus with two intentions the Lord appeared with His devotees and tasted the nectar of prema with the congregational chanting of the holy name. Thus He spread kirtana even among the untouchables. He wove a wreath of the holy name and prema, with which He garlanded the entire material world".
"If the surface of the globe is over-flooded with the chanting of the Hare Krsna mantra, the people of the world will be very, very happy. (Purport to SB 4.24.11)
So let us overflood the world with the holy names and weave a sankirtan wreath around it.
- His Holiness Janananda Gosvami
All glories to Sri Sri Guru and Gauranga. All glories to Srila Prabhupada.
The World Holy Names Committee proposes the following initiatives:
1. Nagar Sankirtan - Harinaam processions with WHNW and mahamantra banners.
2. 24 hours and/or 12 hours Sankirtan yajna - Non-stop kirtan for 24/12 hours.
3. Japathon - Pledges from devotees and congregation to chant extra rounds during this period.
4. Morning Bhagvatam class on Holy names as the theme - Morning Bhagvatam classes emphasizing on glories and importance of Holy Names.
5. Japa Seminars – Seminars on japa related topics e.g japa reform, 10 offenses, types of japa etc
6. Japa Retreats – Group of devotees do japa retreat camps under proper leadership and guidance.
7. Sunday feast lectures & dramas on Holy Names – Presentations based on importance of Holy names and related topics.
8. Japa Booth – Putting a table with beads and pamphlets in the temple for whole week encouraging new comers to get the beads and chant.
9. Inter Faith events - Invite other religions/faiths for Kirtans and other Holy Name related events.
10. Radio Shows - Broadcasting Hare Krishna Kirtans, especially Srila Prabhupada dhun on radio.
11. Holy Name walks - Padyatras to nearby towns and villages to distribute holynames, prabhupada books and Prasad.
12. Harinaam concerts - Arrange Harinaam concerts (Kirtan in different styles and many musical instruments) for public.
13. Celebrities - Get the cricket/Film stars and other celebrities for public chanting events During WHNW.
14. Banners - Post Hare krishna mahamantra and WHNW banners/hoardings throughout the city/town/villages.
15. Newspapers advertisement- WHNW articles/advertisements in newspapers
16. Media - Call media groups for events coverage for TV/Radio/Newspapers etc
17. Inter-faith conventions on Holy Name – Invite other religion/faiths for dialogue on holy names of God.
18. Giftshop SALE – Special discount on Kirtan/bhajan CD’s/DVD’s during this period
19. Truck Kirtan - Performing kirtan from moving motorized vehicles like flatbed trucks, double decker buses, etc. This produces an effect of a moving stage. Because of the powerful vehicles, substantial sound systems can be accommodated, and high volumes of Hare Krishna Maha Mantra can spread in all directions. The vehicles can be nicely decorated, and passengers can also be brought along like press and VIPs.
20. Harinam Rathcart - H.H. Jayapataka Swami Maharaja expressed that we can gather more devotees together to chant Hare Krishna if we utilize a Harinam Rathacart. Just like many people are attracted to Jagananatha Rathayatra, and enjoy pulling the cart and serving the Lord, similarly, people will be attracted to pulling a cart with Harinam Prabhu on the cart. We can worship Harinam Prabhu in the form the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra in printed form. The sixteen words of the mahamantra can be placed up on the Rathcart. We can offer arotik, and flowers. People throughout the route of the procession can benefit by hearing the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra, and also seeing the beautiful form of the letters of the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra.
21. Kirtan Mela - We are indeed fortunate that a new wave of enthusiasm for kirtan is sweeping the planet in the form of Kirtan Mela. H.H. Sacinandan Swami Maharaja first hosted Kirtan Mela in Germany in 2010. Since that time, Kirtan Mela has become a regular feature of the Mayapur Festival. Devotees come from all over the world to participate. The most accomplished and recognized kirtaniyas are giving the opportunity to serve the devotees by chanting according to a well organized schedule. The kirtan mela may be a one day event, or as is often the case as a recent successful kirtan mela in Mumbai, for several days.
Some excellent quotes (taken from Indradyumna Swami’s Facebook wall):
"The devotee should make it a regular practice to spend a little time alone in a quiet place and concentrate deeply on the holy name. He should utter and hear the name distinctly. It is impossible for the jiva to singlehandedly avoid and overcome the illusion of distraction. By the mercy... of the Lord, however, this is accomplished with ease." [Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura ]
"Of all the names of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krishna is the most
important, as the Lord Himself has confirmed: 'My dear Arjuna, 'Krishna' is the most important of all My names.'" [Srila Baladeva Vidyabhusana, Sri Vishnu-sahasra-nama-stotra, A Thousand Names of Lord Vishnu, text 20 ]
"In the teachings of Sriman Mahaprabhu, there are two principle instructions: developing a taste for chanting the holy names and displaying compassion for the fallen souls." [Srila Bhaktivinod: Sri Caitanya...Siksamrita, 1.7 ]
"My only hope lies in the limitless nectar of Your Holy Name." [Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur, Harinama Cintamani, Chapter One]
"O sadhu, if you cannot suddenly renounce this dreamlike world, then day and night meditate on Vrindavan. Worship Vrindavan's king and queen and always chant Their holy names."
"If the opulence or knowledge of many millions of universes were clustered together, they would hardly equal a small fragment of the glory of Krsna's holy name. Krsna's holy name is my life. It is the goal of my life. It is the means I will employ to attain the goal of my life." [Srila Rupa Goswami, Padyavali, Text 23]
"Even if one distributes ten million cows in charity during an eclipse of the sun, lives at the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna for millions of years, or gives a mountain of gold in sacrifice to the brahmanas, he does not earn even one hundredth part of the merit derived from chanting Hare Krishna." [Srila Sanatana Gosvami, Laghu-Bhagavatamrta]
Krishna is the original name of the Lord and all other names are simply part and parcel of that original name Krishna. The original name Krishna is more powerful than the other names and the result of chanting the name of Krishnais greater than that of chanting the other names of the Lord." [Jiva Goswami, Sri Krishna Sandarbha]
The sadhu helps the fallen jiva to regain his natural state of freedom from sin, by the constant service of bringing about the descent of transcendental sound in the form of words uttered by his lips and the mahaprasada in the shape of food that is offered by him to the Lord. Srila Bhaktisiddhanta
"O people, please do not fear this blazing fire of sin! The monsoon clouds of Lord Govinda's holy name will extinguish it with a flood of rain." [Garuda Purana, cited by Srila Sanatana Goswami in Hari-Bhakti-Vilasa, 11th vilasa ]
There are currently more than 70 temples across India and hundreds more around the world participating in this year's World Holy Names Week. Chaitanya Mahaprabhu predicted that His Names would be chanted in "every town and village," and Srila Prabhupada fulfilled Mahaprabhu's prediction by starting ISKCON and carrying the Holy Names around the world (as the Ambassador of the Holy Names).
World Holy Name Banner:
Click here to download Hi-Resolution:
Chant Hare Krishna (Full Mantra) - Web format, Print format
Chant Mahamantra - Web format, Print format
Chant Hare Krishna - Web format, Print format
Download Animated Mahamantra
12 hour Kirtan - Web format, Print format
Japathon Meditation on beads - Web format, Print format
Japathon Marathon for chanting - Web format, Print format
Vishwa Harinamotsav - Web format, Print format
World Holy Name Week - Web format, Print format
For further details contact: email@example.com